Before you vaccinate your child, ask your doctor what is the likelihood that after this vaccine/vaccine combination your child will have a seizure and what is the worst-case scenario!
What it really tells you:
- Children who have febrile seizure are at increased risk for developing epilepsy
- Not all children who get febrile seizure recover quickly.
- Your child is most at risk at ages 14-18 months.
- There is increased risk of febrile seizures after the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine. There is an even greater with the MMRV (Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella = chicken pox) combination vaccine.
- There is a greater risk when you get influenza vaccine (flu shot) with PCV13
- Kirshealth.org says: If the seizure lasts more than 5 minutes, or your child turns blue, it may be a more serious type of seizure — call 911 right away.